About Healthy Kids
Healthy Kids Association is a not-for-profit, non-government, health promotion organisation based in Sydney, Australia. The Association works according to the principles and values articulated in the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion and the guiding principles for Health Promoting Schools.
The aim of the organisation is to promote and influence healthy food choices for children. The goals of Healthy Kids encompass the entire health promoting school community. It is the primary source of advice and information on healthy food choices for 3,000 schools in NSW.
The objectives of the Association are:
- Promote the prevention and control of diet related diseases in children.
- Raise awareness of the high incidence of childhood obesity and its health impacts into adulthood.
- Provide school communities with information about food and nutrition and its role in preventing and controlling diet related diseases.
- Increase the availability and sale of foods and beverages in school canteens that are consistent with the Australian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents.
- Empower schools to take responsibility for providing economically viable, hygienic and nutrition oriented canteen services.
- Support the government strategies for Healthy School Canteens.
- Be a high profile, well networked and credible organisation, widely recognised and able to influence public policy on school canteens.
- Support and promote food and catering industries wishing to provide nutritious foods for schools through fostering positive relationships.
- Ensure financial sustainability.
Established in 1991, Healthy Kids is governed by a Board of Directors, including a Chair, with representation from the NSW Department of Health, the NSW Department of Education and Training, the food industry and five members elected in accordance with the Associations constitution.
The members of the Association are drawn from schools, health professionals, educators and organisations with an involvement in food services in schools. Development of the NSW Fresh Tastes @ School Healthy School Canteen Strategy has seen an increase in the number of schools becoming members and receiving information, advice and support on the operation of a healthy canteen. As at June 2010, HKA has 1180 members. Healthy Kids is now on Facebook!
Healthy Kids now has its own facebook page. We can now keep you abreast with what's going on at the Healthy Kids office and provide you with info on upcoming events.
Support Healthy Kids in our mission to promote and influence healthy food choices for children and become a fan!
See you on Facebook!
It's the end of the year! Have you got everything in order to start next year off on the right foot? Here's a checklist you can use. Enjoy the holidays!